Sunday 1 February 2015

Cooking Meat & Game: A Visit to White House Meats at St. Lawrence Market

Whitehouse Meats: St. Lawrence Market 
Whitehouse Meats Showcase 
There are many different butcher shops located in the South Building of St. Lawrence Market on the south side of Front St. A visit to St. Lawrence Market has brought me to closely examine the many different butcher shops located in the market. One butcher shop in particular stood out from the rest, Whitehouse Meats. This butcher shop has many different types of cuts from several different types of animals, beef, chicken, pork, duck, and veal as well as have a large selection of game meats and birds, which include venison, boar, camel, turtle, buffalo, and ostrich. 




The cut that I have chosen that I was not familiar with is Cheeks from a Buffalo. Once I have chosen the cut I asked the butcher their suggestion for cooking it however, to no avail I was not able to get their suggestion for they didn't have any for the particular cut I have chosen. 


Buffalo Cheeks


Foods of the World - Italy Manual (Week 4)
Selfie: Me & Source of the Recipe & Key
The recipe that I have selected that uses the cut I have chosen is Braised Veal Cheeks (Guancia Di Vitello Brasata) from the Foods of the World – Italy (Week 4) Manual, recipes inspired by Chef Tomaselli.  Instead of using Veal Cheeks I would substitute it with the cut I have chosen, Buffalo Cheeks.

Similar to how the product is prepared in the recipe selected I would clean all the silver skin off of the veal cheeks, reserve the trimmings, pour warm red wine over the cleaned veal cheeks to stain and let it rest for 10 minutes. After patting the buffalo cheeks dry I would season it with salt and pepper, and sear the veal cheeks in vegetable or olive oil. Then I would remove the seared cheeks and add the mirepoix and garlic and trimmings and sauté them.  Pour the reserved wine stain, reduce by half and add the Veal Stock or Buffalo stock in this case. Then I would add bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and cocoa nibs to the braising liquid, and place the buffalo cheeks back in the pan and cover the pan with foil and braise at 350 oF in the oven for 2 hours until tender.

For the product I would charge $15-20 for it, and for the dish I would pair it with roasted Jerusalem Artichokes Cipollini Onions and Asparagus similar in the Foods of the World – Italy manual and charge the dish $20-25.

The recipe I have chosen would not be effective in a fast-paced restaurant because the recipe requires the braised cheeks to cook for 2 hours until tender.


Source: Foods the World - Italy (Week 4) Manual 

4 comments:

  1. The veal cheek recipe was my favorite. It was the first time I taste it in class and will never forget that flavour. It was so tender too. I wonder if the buffalo cheek is tender like veal. I am not sure. It might take longer to cook I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to St. Lawrence market so many times, some how I don't remember seeing this meat shop. However they do carry some special part of an animal. Looking forward to buy some meat in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Veal Cheek recipe we did in Foods of the World was alright. However, I didn't like the texture though. I would assume the veal and buffalo cheeks would have similar cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. White House Meats is further in St. Lawrence Market near the equipment store. I chose this butcher shop specifically for its wide selection of game meats.

    ReplyDelete