Saturday 27 September 2014

Sensory Evaluation




For my second culinary blog post: Sensory Evaluation I went to Spoon and Fork, a Japanese and Thai restaurant located in Vaughn on my birthday. I chose Thai Lemon Grass Soup (Tom Yum) with shrimp, as a new food I have never tried before.


Thai Lemongrass Soup (Tom Yum)
Rich chicken broth combined with lemongrass, koffir lime leaves, galangal, tamarind, fresh chili, tomatoes and white mushrooms, (Your choice of chicken, shrimp, or vegetables)



Thai Lemongrass Soup is one of the most common dishes found in Thailand.  The soup contains a combination of herbs and spices.  The lemongrass, an herb used in Tom Yum, is a common ingredient used in Thai cooking that provides a subtle lemon flavor and aroma to the soup. Along with the lemongrass used in the soup, fresh chilies and tamarind was used in combination with the lemongrass as well, which provided an assertive strong flavor to the soup. Thai Lemongrass Soup is a unique dish because it provides a mix of both subtle and strong flavors. The soup appealed to two out of the five basic tastes, sweet and sour. I enjoyed eating Tom Yum because of its unique spicy and sour qualities, and I would eat it again the next time I visit Spoon and Fork, or any other Thai restaurants in Toronto 
After trying Thai Lemongrass Soup it changed the way in which I will taste, analyze foods as well as how I will use foods in my cooking. When trying out new foods I have never tasted before I will analyze the many different flavors as well as primary and secondary flavors (spices and herbs) used in the cooking.



No comments:

Post a Comment